Today kicks off a new series of interviews with the designers and makers who make CISTHENE what it is – a magical purveyor of powerful talismans and potions. Every couple of weeks, I will introduce you to one of these artisans… and because it wouldn’t be CISTHENE without music, they will share their current favorite playlist with you as well.
Gia Bahm, creator of Unearthen, selects the crystals and metals in her pieces according to the histories, qualities, and sizes of the materials. She is a collector, an aestheticist, a creator, and a destructor…much like all of us who are constantly perplexed by the forces of nature and humankind. It was my beautiful cousin Lindsey who sent me to a link to Gia’s magical site about five years ago. Since that moment I’ve been following her soaring career as a talisman crafter and was so honored when she agreed to be part of our CISTHENE launch.
1. What is your favorite UNEARTHEN piece right now? My absolute fave is the Auroras Ring. The raw lightness of the clear quartz with the faceted green amethyst is the ultimate combo for me. I could stare at it for hours, and I do.
2. Why jewelry? Because it’s a constant challenge and inspiration. An adventure that I wouldn’t trade anything for — I love my passion filled occupation.
3. What are your summer beauty must-haves? The Crystal Quartz and Labradorite silk scarves are blowing my mind (I love them both so much I can’t pick just one!) - would be incredible paired with a bathing suit for a summer sunset! Also really into the Teiwaz Rune Ring!
A light pink/sheer nail coat is also essential for me this summer to keep it simple, and any of the products by San Francisco based Earth Tu Face.
4. How does music influence your work? Ah! It truly is my biggest muse. Music is EVERYTHING! I would have created nothing if not for music.
5. What was the first record you bought on your own? The first record I ever bought was a compilation I found at the record store by my house called “That Summer”. Pretty appropriate for this CISTHENE summer interview, actually!
I think I bought it when was 14. I picked it because I really liked Richard Hell and figured the other bands on the record would be ok if he was on it. Hilarious considering some of the others on the record were Patti Smith, Elvis Costello, Reckless Eric, and The Undertones. I’ve added an Undertones song to the mix as homage. Ha!
6. The Ramones or The Misfits? Another one of the first records I bought was Legacy of Brutality. But both bands are SO special. Just depends on my mood really!
Thank you so much Gia! You can shop our new Unearthen arrivals here and listen to her playlist here.
Teenage Kicks : The Undertones
Dancing In The Moonlight : Thin Lizzy
That’s Us/Wild Combination : Arthur Russell
Midnight Voyage : The Mamas & The Papas
Breakin’ the Law : The Babies
Fist Heart Mighty Dawn Dart : Ty Segall
Comes A Time : Neil Young
The Love Between : White Fence
The Man In Me : Bob Dylan
Baby : Donnie and Joe Emerson
Katzenmusik 7 : Michael Rother
Big White Cloud : John Cale
Strangers : The Kinks